Saturday, July 9, 2011

I want to learn to sew clothes.

Yes - I have said that before.

But what usually happens is I go buy 37 patterns, tons of fabric, attempt 1 pattern, get half way through before realizing I have sewn an arm on inside out and to the neck hole instead of the arm hole, get annoyed, squish the fabric "creation" into a ball, throw said ball across the room, and then go back to quilting.

No - this is not a one time occurance, but an ongoing pattern throughout my life time of sewing.

Still - I do really want to learn!  And there are 4 books coming out that I think might finally do it for me in that they look like they have awesome patters, good illustrations, and clear directions.

*****

First up on my wish list is I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs to Sew


From the publisher: 25 easy-to-make and wear dresses.  Start sewing simple and adorable dresses that you’ll love to wear. You don’t need complicated patterns to make these 25 easy, loose, and effortlessly stylish garments. Each of these dresses is designed from basic, simple shapes that require no difficult or advanced tailoring, and will be flattering on everyone.  You just need the basic template for each dress, and then you can adjust the width using an included formula, and length by simply raising or dropping the hemline. These easy-to-sew and easy-to-fit cute dresses will quickly become staples in your wardrobe.

*****



From the publisher: A great plan, a great pattern, a great fit, a great fabric, and a great finish: These are the five fundamentals for perfecting any sewing project. Sarai Mitnick, an independent pattern designer setting the high water mark in the industry, shares her knowledge of these fundamentals and offers five beautiful projects to go with them.
  • Powerful instruction: A former expert in user experience in the tech industry, Sarai Mitnick's Colette Patterns line has gained a great deal of respect for comprehensive, clear instruction.
  • Comprehensive resource: The chapters cover sewing techniques, planning and fitting, working with patterns, working with fabrics, working with linings, finishing techniques… In essence, each chapter focuses on what the entirety of another book might cover.
  • Gorgeous package: Pitch-perfect combination of illustration, step-by-step photography and beautiful project shots, all with a clean, lovely design.
*****



From the publisher: 25 fabulous, wearable garments from only 8 simple patterns.  Make a closetful of comfortable and easy go-to garments without needing tons of patterns. You need just the eight included basic templates which show you how to fold and cut for each of the 25 unique designs. The patterns are easy and adaptable with no-fuss sizing, so it’s simple to sew clothes that are perfect for you. If you’re a beginner sewer you’ll love the basic shapes and stylish results. Once you’ve mastered the patterns you can get creative and make each piece your own by using a variety of fabrics, or by adding fashionable embellishments like a print lining or contrast-stitching.  Fill your wardrobe in no time with these easy to make and wear garments.
*****

Finally I want Liberty Book of Home Sewing which isn't so much about clothes sewing but COME ON!!
IT'S LIBERTY!!
Besides when there is a Liberty book available no Amazon wishlist is complete without it.


From the publisher: Crafters and fashion lovers will be lining up to get their hands on the very first sewing book from internationally popular and uber-stylish textile brand Liberty. Brimming with lavish photographs of bold, graphic fabrics, The Liberty Book of Home Sewing offers 25 irresistible and easy-to-make projects that allow readers to incorporate a touch of Liberty elegance into their home. Simple enough for beginners, the projects range from feminine totes and aprons to handy pincushions and book covers, full-sized quilts, chic throws, plush cushions, and more. With color step-by-step illustrations, detailed instructions, and plenty of inspiration, plus an exquisite fabric cover, this enchantingly beautiful book will be treasured by longtime Liberty fans and young crafters alike.

*****

If none of these books can teach me how to sew clothes or at least inspire me to get off my quilters butt and LEARN then I don't think anything will!!

8 comments:

  1. Your post cracked me up, because I too would love to make something for myself but I fear having the same experience as you. ;) Thanks for the great book suggestions - I pinned a few of them to my Pinterest pin board: http://pinterest.com/iftoyscouldtalk/pins/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing clothes completely frustrates me at times too...and yet I always go back to it. Apparently, I'm masochistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling - last wkd I downloaded the free Sorbetto top pattern from the Colette website and made one! today I made another! Have a go, I just used fabric from a couple of old dresses my mum to me as I didn't want to waste money on new fabric and they are great, I am so pleased with them. Go on you can do it (but yes buy lovely books too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to do this too!!! We should have a sew-a-long/support group for one of the patterns in one of these books! I've made one top, but I totally sucked. It's wearable, but barely. I have made a few basic a-line skirts, but I want to try patterns that are a bit more flattering (the one I made really needed a wide band at the waist and pockets). Anywho! Let me know if you want to sew something together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the frickin' sleeves that always get me. That's why I just stick to skirts. They're safer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those new books look intriguing but i'd like to suggest a basic sewing guide, like Vogue Sewing, and some fitting books, like fit for real people/pants for real people.

    i wish i had known more about making the patterns actually fit me when i started sewing instead of making stuff that kind of fit but not really for years.

    ReplyDelete